Rehousing Assistance


Resident leaseholders – How do I apply for re-housing ?

Generally as a resident leaseholder the council has no legal obligation to re-house you or ensure you can afford another property. In a regeneration area however, the council try and help as many people as possible.  If you are concerned about where you can afford to live you can apply for re-housing assistance.

After a thorough and careful assessment the council will decide if you are eligible for one of 3 options:

  • A council tenancy
  • A shared equity property
  • A shared ownership property

Resident leaseholder – a resident leaseholder is a person who has the legal right to the property they occupy for the period of the lease, they have from the owner of the property. In other words, they are the people named on the lease and live in the property.

What does a re-housing assessment entail ?

As council housing is a precious commodity the council need to ensure it goes to those who need it the most.  In order to assess your eligibility for re-housing they will perform in depth checks about your credit history, household, financial status, income, expenditure and residential status.

The re-housing assistance can be an intensive process as this is based on a financial assessment model. The council will only re-house you if you are eligible+.

Leaseholders that wish to be considered for re-housing assistance need to ensure that the information provided to the Council for re-housing assistance must be accurate.

The council assessment process consists of these 5 stages

Stage one Confirm your Identity – In order for the council to identify and verify who you are, you will be asked for your identity documents such as a passport and driving licence. They need to see the original documents and will take a copy of these for your file. They will also ask for proof of address so will ask for a utility bill, or council tax bill to establish that you live at the property.

Stage two – Confirm you are the leaseholder

The council will need to prove you are the leaseholder. The ID you produced for stage 1 needs to   confirm that your identity is the same name as that which appears on the LAND REGISTRY.  If you use different names or have not registered yourself as the leaseholder with the Land registry your application for re-housing will be rejected or held up.   If you are unsure if your name is at it appears on your ID you can check if you are the registered leaseholder of your property here.  There is a charge of £3 to check you name appears on the land registry

 It is crucial that all names on official documents should be the same to avoid any discrepancies. For example, if the name on the Identity documents is John Daniel Bloggs, this needs to be the same on the Lease, and any important documentation that is required for this process to go ahead smoothly. If there is a difference in names, for example, John Daniel Bloggs is on the passport and the Lease is in the name Daniel John Bloggs, the council have no way of knowing that it is the same person and will ask why there is a discrepancy in the names, as well as ask for additional information. If the information is not forthcoming, it slows down the proces


The council need to know they are dealing with the legal leaseholder.

The council will also check that you have no other properties.


More information will be required if there are any discrepancies in the names. You may need a solicitor for this therefore it is important to be aware of the work that the solicitor is carrying out on your behalf. The council have no way of knowing that you are the same person if there is a discrepancy in the names therefore, the process of establishing that you are  rightful legal owner can take some time. You may need to swear an affidavit that you are one and the same person if the need arises, and this needs to be done through a solicitor.

Stage three – Confirm who lives in your property – The council will also need to confirm who lives with you in your property so that they can ensure that they assess you and your families needs correctly. As part of their assessment, they will also need to check incomes of all those over the age of 18 in order to identify which re-housing option would be most suited to you and your family. If all the adults in your household are included in your re-housing application process, The council will ask for:

  • Full names and Identity of those you live with in order to identify and establish their identity and that they live with you.
  • Ages
  • Medical needs in order to establish whether there are any medical recommendations that need to be taken into account in the assessment for re-housing.

Stage four – A Credit Check is done on ALL OVER 18’s you have stated as living there – The re-housing assistance is a financial model therefore, the council need to establish the correct housing option for you and your family. One of the ways that this is done is through credit checks. This will highlight your financial status and enable them to reach their decision. This enables them to establish whether you are in a position to buy elsewhere and if not, it helps determine what re-housing option is available to you.

For this purpose, it is extremely vital that all bank accounts, debts and loans must be declared as these will be highlighted in the credit check.

Stage five – Income and expenditure.

  • Applicants and any adults in the household need to provide 3 months worth of documents income details.
  • Details requested include Pensions, benefits, savings, bank statements, mortgage details, utility bills, debts and any other financial information.

This information is required in order to establish what amount is available to you once all your normal expenses have been paid. The Council have a criteria that is set by the Government. It is this criteria that determines how much you are assessed to be able to afford. Please bear in mind that this covers basic needs.

Once all the information is provided, and assessed, the council will write to inform you the outcome of the application. If you have met the re-housing assistance criteria and there are no medical recommendations, or change in need, the process carries on quite quickly.

If there is a change in your needs, it goes to the Management Needs Panel. The Management Needs Panel is a panel that examines the information provided through the application process in order to establish whether you have met the criteria to be re-housed to a specific type of property in dependant on your needs.

If there are medical needs and recommendations, it is referred to the medical team to be assessed for medical recommendations. The medical team assesses the medical information provided and contact you directly with this process. This can be a lengthy process. When the decision has been reached, they will write to you to inform you of the decision.